Summer Season restart
As noted by Basketball Victoria in their recent update, basketball is considered a contact sport and unfortunately, there is not more clarity as to when contact indoor sports (i.e. competition) will resume. However, the easing of restrictions will allow a resumption to indoor non-contact training for players under 18, from the 9th November.
As a result, we have been informed by our local association MEBA, that based on an assessment of when contact sports are likely to be allowed to resume, but wanting to maximise certainty, they have decided to start a reduced Summer 20/21 season on Saturday 23rd January 2021.
Despite the January start date for the Summer 20/21 season, everyone is keen to get the kids back on court as soon as possible. To that end, we have been offered the opportunity to use Nunawading Stadium for training until we close for the Christmas break (23rd December) with Nunawading also providing the required Bio Safety Officers during this period. Under Basketball Victoria’s ORANGE-20 level, sessions will be 40 minutes on court with a 20-minute gap in between groups. We will work through how this will operate and communicate details once we have teams finalised and more clarity on the timing we can use.
Over this period, Nunawading Basketball will also run free clinics on Sunday afternoons for under 8’s to under 12’s promoted through the schools to recruit players.
Summer 20/21 Competitions
Given the uncertain nature of COVID-19 the decision has been made for the Summer 20/21 competitions to remain as flexible as possible.
For all competitions across the Summer 20/21 season:
- Matches will run on a 55-minute schedule with 17-minute halves
- Matches will continue to have 2 referees rostered onto each match
- Grand Finals will be played between 1st and 2nd on the ladder at the end of the rounds
- Grand Final match timing will remain the same as for the regular season
The competition will also provide flexibility with the fill-in rule allowing any player to play for a team to make up numbers provided they are registered (for BV Insurance) and from the same age group or younger. This means that any registered player will be permitted to fill-in for a team to ensure we get the players on court and playing.
We also intend to use any surplus registration funds given a reduced season to lower the cost for members, however we are waiting on final details of what is proposed for this season to complete this. We will communicate directly and via Managers once we are in a position to do this.
The below summaries provide details of how the season will be structured for each junior competition day:
GEBC Saturday Competition
In planning for the GEBC (Saturday) Summer 20/21 season the following information is provided:
- Competition will commence on Saturday 23rd January 2021
- Games will start at 8:00am and the last game will start at 8:50pm (1 timeslot later)
- The season shall be played over 10 weeks (9 Rounds + Grand Finals)
WNJ Girls Monday Competition
In planning for the WNJ Girls (Monday) Summer 20/21 season the following information is provided:
- Competition will commence on Monday 1st February 2021
- Games will start at 4:15pm and the last game will start at 6:05pm
- The season shall be played over 8 weeks (7 Rounds + Grand Finals)
FNJ Boys Friday Competition
In planning for the FNJ Boys (Friday) Summer 20/21 season the following information is provided:
- Competition will commence on Friday 29th January 2021
- Games will start at 5:00pm and the last game will start at 9:35pm (1 timeslot later)
- The season shall be played over 9 weeks (8 Rounds + Grand Finals)
What do I need to do now?
- If you were not registered for the Winter season, but wish to play Summer, registration is now open until Friday 13 November
- If you were registered for the Winter season, but do not want to play this Summer season, a refund will be provided; Please complete the Vermont Vultures Basketball Club refund application form.pdf located on our website, and send to email@example.com
- If you were registered for the Winter season, and wish to play Summer, there is nothing for you to do! Your registration is carried over
Regards, Vultures Committee